Our modern society is faced with challenges in energy, environment, and resources. The chemical industries for hydrogen production and ammonia synthesis, for example, are highly energy intensive and also emit a large amount of greenhouse gases. The improper disposal of electronic waste results in both environmental pollution and waste of resources. There is an urgent need of technological transformations in the chemical and materials industries for building a sustainable future. At ShanghaiTech, our research group is exploring unconventional materials and sustainable electrochemical processes to enable energy, electronic, and environmental technologies. Our current projects include:
1. Catalytic synthesis of fuels: designing, preparing and characterizing catalysts & reactors for producing fuels.
2. Metals extraction and recycling: developing environmentally friendly electrochemical processes for critical metal extraction and recycling.
3. Carbon capture: design and investigate new methods for capturing carbon dioxide from air or flue gas.
4. Functional oxides: materials synthesis, control and characterization of electronic and ionic properties, and nanofabrication of field-effect devices.
12. X. Wang, X. Zhang, Y. Sun, H. Zhang, C. Pei, M. Zhao, J. Zhou, Q. Tang, H. Chen, B. Xi, Y. Qi, Z. Liu, G. Li, X. Guan, "Resistivity Modulation of Perovskite Samarium Nickelate with High-Valence Cations and the Underlying Mechanism", Applied Surface Science, 624, 157103, 2023.
11. Q. Tang, X. Wang, H. Zhang, Z. Liu and X. Guan, "Thin-Film Samarium Nickelate as a Potential Material for Methane Sensing", Journal of Materials Research, 37, 3816-3830, 2022.
10. J. Zhou, J. Bing, J. Ni, X. Wang and X. Guan, "Recycling the Waste LiMn2O4 of Spent Li-ion Batteries by pH Gradient in Neutral Water Electrolyser", Materials Today Sustainability, 20, 100205, 2022.
9. Q. Yang, J. Liu, C. Zhou, J. Ni, E. Vovk, Y. Yang, B. Yang, and X. Guan, "Combining Electrolysis with Thermocatalysis for Dry Reforming of Methane in a Naturally Stratifying Liquid Alloy-Salt Catalytic System", Materials Today Chemistry, 25, 100949, 2022.
8. Z. Tang, X. Meng, Y. Shi, and X. Guan, "Lithium-Based Loop for Ambient-Pressure Ammonia Synthesis in a Liquid Alloy-Salt Catalytic System", ChemSusChem, 14, 4697-4707, 2021. (Selected as Cover Feature)
7. C. Zhou, J. Ni, H. Chen, and X. Guan, "Harnessing Electrochemical pH Gradient for Direct Air Capture with Hydrogen and Oxygen By-Products in a Calcium-Based Loop", Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 5, 4355-4367, 2021.
6. J. Ni, J. Zhou, J. Bing, and X. Guan, "Recycling the Cathode Materials of Spent Lithium-ion Batteries in a H-Shaped Neutral Water Electrolysis Cell", Separation and Purification Technology, 278, 119485, 2021.
5. Z. Tang and X. Guan, "Lithium Extraction from Molten LiOH by Using a Liquid Tin Cathode", Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy, 7, 203-214, 2021.
4. Q. Yang, C. Zhou, J. Ni, and X. Guan, "Methane Dry Reforming in a Coking- and Sintering-Free Liquid Alloy-Salt Catalytic System", Sustainable Energy & Fuels, 4, 2768-2774, 2020. (Selected as a Sustainable Energy and Fuels HOT Article)
3. C. Fleuriault, X. Guan, and J. Grogan, "Extraction and Recycling of Battery Materials", JOM, 71, 4445-4446, 2019.
2. X. Guan, "Toward Resources and Processes Sustainability: Part II", JOM, 70, 510-511, 2018.
1. X. Guan, "Toward Resources and Processes Sustainability: Part I", JOM, 70, 113-114, 2018.
Work at BU and Harvard:
1. X. Guan, B.C. Enalls, D.R. Clarke, and P. Girguis, "Iron Sulfide Formation on Iron Substrates by Electrochemical Reaction in Anoxic Conditions", Crystal Growth & Design, 17, 6332-6340, 2017.
2. X. Guan, J. Jiang, J. Lattimer, M. Tsuchiya, C. Friend, and S. Ramanathan, "Hydride-Based Solid Oxide Fuel Cell-Battery Hybrid Electrochemical System", Energy Technology, 5, 616-622, 2017.
3. S. Lee and X. Guan, "Cerium Silicate-Based Thin Film Apatites: High Conductivity and Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Application", MRS Communications, 7, 199-205, 2017.
4. S. Su, U. Pal, and X. Guan, "Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process for Aluminum Production: Experiment and Modeling", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 164, F248-255, 2017.
5. Z. Zhang, F. Zuo, C. Wan, A. Datta, J. Kim, J. Rensberg, R. Nawrodt, H.H. Park, T. Larrabee, X. Guan, Y. Zhou, S.M. Prokes, C. Ronning, V.M. Shalaev, A. Boltasseva, M.A. Kats, and S. Ramanathan, "Evolution of Metallicity in Vanadium Dioxide by Creation of Oxygen Vacancies", Physical Review Applied, 7, 034008 2017.
6. M. Zhang, X. Guan, and J. Howarter, "Recent Developments in Deriving Values from Resource Recovery at Multiple Scales", JOM, 69, 1537-1538, 2017.
7. J. Jiang, X. Guan, J. Lattimer, C. Friend, A. Verma, M. Tsuchiya, and S. Ramanathan, "Experimental Investigation into Tungsten Carbide Thin Films as Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Anodes", Journal of Materials Research, 31, 3050-3059, 2016.
8. Y. Zhou, X. Guan, H. Zhou, K. Ramadoss, S. Adam, H. Liu, S. Lee, J. Shi, M. Tsuchiya, D.D. Fong, and S. Ramanathan, "Strongly Correlated Perovskite Fuel Cells", Nature, 534, 231-234, 2016.
9. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, Y. Jiang, and S. Su, "Clean Metals Production by Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process", Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy, 2 (2), 152-166, 2016. (Feathered as Cover Article)
10. S. Lee, X. Guan, and S. Ramanathan, "Thin Film Oxy-Apatite Anodes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells", Journal of Electrochemical Society, 163 (7), F719-727, 2016.
11. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, "Design of Optimum Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Cells for Metals Production", Progress in Natural Science: Materials International, 25 (6), 591-594, 2015.
12. X. Guan, S. Su, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, "Periodic Shorting of SOM Cell to Remove Soluble Magnesium in Flux and Improve Faradaic Efficiency", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 45 (6), 2138-2144, 2014.
13. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, "Environmentally Friendly Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis Process for Magnesium Oxide Reduction: Experiment and Modeling", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions E, 1 (2), 132-144, 2014.
14. E.S. Gratz, X. Guan, J. Milshtein, U.B. Pal, and A.C. Powell, "Mitigating the Electronic Current in Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis for Magnesium Production", Metallurgical and Materials Transaction B, 45 (4), 1325-1336, 2014.
15. Y. Jiang, J. Xu, X. Guan, U.B. Pal and S.N. Basu (2013), "Production of Silicon by Solid Oxide Membrane-Based Electrolysis Process", MRS Proceedings, 1493, 231-235, 2013.
16. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, S. Gopalan, and A.C. Powell, "LSM (La0.8Sr0.2MnO3-δ)–Inconel Inert Anode Current Collector for Solid Oxide Membrane Electrolysis", Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 160 (11), F1179-F1186, 2013.
17. X. Guan, U.B. Pal and A.C. Powell, "An Environmentally Friendly Process Involving Refining and Membrane Based Electrolysis for Magnesium Recovery from Partially Oxidized Scrap Alloy", JOM, 65 (10), 1285-1292, 2013.
18. X. Guan, U.B. Pal, P.A. Zink and A.C. Powell, "Recycling of Magnesium Alloy Employing Refining and Solid-Oxide-Membrane (SOM) Electrolysis", Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 44 (2), 261-271, 2013.
|Group Members 组员|
Chen, Yue; Meng, Xian; Sun, Yibo; Wang, Xingran; Xi, Bingxu; Xue, Junjie; Zhang, Xu; Zhou, Jiayin.
Former group members (current):
Wang, Xingyuan (Shanghai Electric); Yang, Qinghai (GalaxyCore); Ni, Jihong (HiPhi); Tang, Qijuan (Micron); Tang, Zujian (Tohoku University).
Xue, Qingjun (Daicel); Shi, Yue (Cornell University); Zhou, Congquan (SIMIT); Chen, Huiqi (Fudan University); Bing, Jinhong (SICCAS).
(Group photo taken on 2023/06/09)
(Group photo taken on 2022/09/30)
(Group photo taken on 2021/01/18)